Thursday, November 30, 2006

The Date

As I run through the raindrops to the car (mustn't mess the careful prepared "do") I realize he has brought "The 'Vette". Now there are a couple things that all my many men (HA!) have had in common...One, emotionally unavailable (whoops, this is supposed to be funny right?) two, generally shorter than me and three, really nice cars. Now I don't intentionally seek out any of those things they just seem to happen. Aside from the first one (the unfunny one) the other two don't really bother me. I would like a man to be taller so that I don't feel like Godzilla but I'm pretty used to being taller than most, so I got over that. The car thing is pretty funny I've dated Porshe man, Alfa Romeo man, NSX man, Mercedes man and now Corvette man.

I get into the car and I'm told that I should be suitably impressed because "she's from Vegas and has never been driven in the rain" Who?? Is there a girl in the back seat (wait no back seat) I didn't see? Ohhhh the car. So knowing I'm supposed to take an interest in what they're interested in I make suitable thankful noises. I'll admit that I don't get that whole be interested in what they're interested in thing totally. I mean if I waxed poetic about how I chose my hair color "just for him" would he care? Make those same suitable thankful noises? I think not.

So we drive to a local restaurant and take a seat in the bar. The thought being there, we call it "a drink" and if all goes well, we have dinner. So there are about six TVs in the bar and immediately I notice it will be difficult for him to focus on me with all that going on. Sigh, a football man. Alright well no one is perfect soldier on. So we start to awkwardly talk (remember we have been texting VERY flirtatiously for about two weeks) and ask each other questions.

So I read a lot and ask about that....what?? He hasn't read a book since high school? Ohhhh that's not good. Okay again no one is perfect and he is very cute. Okay ask about his kids. Ahhhh, a smile and animation...very good. Even cuter! Well maybe the whole football no reading thing is okay. RRRRRIIIIINNNNGGGGG! His cell...surely he won't answer. Whoops surely he will. It's the ex wife. Okay well they have kids together he has to answer...right? Alright that was brief no problem. We get drinks and an appetizer and continue to talk.

Yup, he's pretty cute and getting cuter with my second Margarita. Sure he wore jeans and a sweatshirt but that's just a man thing. We're smiling, we're talking...all is good. He's still cute.....RRRRRRRIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNGGGGG! His cell...his ex wife. Hmmmm, calling to tell him it's snowing where they are...okay. Hmmmm. So we leave and take a drive in the fast car. Maybe not a smart thing to do but I'm at a bit of a loss what to do now. Plus I would like to get him away from the TVs.

So we take a drive and he shows me the house he used to live in, drive along the Kirkland waterfront, talk some more...okay this is better. We end up in another bar with more TVs, sigh. Again no eye contact. RRRRRRRRIIIIIIINNNNNNNNGGGGGGG! Now I wonder who that is? The ex wife saying the kids want to say goodnight. Okay that's fine right? It's pretty cute...right? So he hangs up and I ask how long they've been separated (yes I knew they weren't quite divorced)....less than a month?? When did he sign up on Match? The next day? Ohhhhhh. That's not good. Soon we leave, I get a hug and I'm home.

Now....what do I think of that? I'll sleep on it.

No comments: