Sunday, November 26, 2006

Getting started

Getting started
Okay so I am a 39 year old single woman. I have had two significant relationships in my adult lifetime. One that lasted all through my twenties and destined to go nowhere, but was fun. And most recently another that I was kind of sorry to see go. It was long distance and I considered making it short distance but the other person just "wasn't that into me". I figured the only way to get over one is to replace it with another...better one:) Therefore I joined Match.com.
About a month ago my roommate and I drank a wee bit too much wine. In a slightly loopy mood (okay drunken) I logged on, gave my credit card number and joined. Oh shoot now what? I have to put up a picture, tell about myself, describe my date?? Okay...

Step One: The picture
Who would have though adding a simple picture would be so difficult? Here's a little taste of how my brain works (and possibly an explanation of why I'm still single:) So you have to have a picture...but which one? Not one too good, that's too much to live up to and quite possibly false advertising. But then again not too bad or no one will email you. So I show everyone I know pictures and ask the question which one?? Get twenty different answers...not so helpful. So I just choose and get "Oh you picked that one?" "Why is it bad, too good what??" "No I'm sure it's fine" Oh crap. Alright well it's up a slightly idealized version of me but not too idealized... I hope.

Step Two: About me
Now I have to write a little blurb about me. So I hide my profile and do a little competition reconnaissance. The women talk about being honest, loving and "real". Am I real? Hmmmm, I think so. Their pictures are softly fuzzed beauty shots, mine is one of those hold up the camera in front of you and smile deals. Alright I will buck the trend and be my slightly sarcastic, not too serious snarky self. No talk of walks on the beach, five seconds later I'm done.

Step Three: My date
Now I have to choose the criteria I expect from my date. Eyes, check gotta have those. Ohhh color. Doesn't matter same for hair. Height....here's what I've found men under six feet ALWAYS lie about their height! I'm tall and they still lie! Like I'm not going to figure it out. I don't care...really but jeez when you say you're six foot and I'm looking at your bald spot, puhleeze. Weight again hmmmm I'm a bit chubby right now do I have the right to say "athletic and toned" when I'm not? Nah don't really care about that either. Okay a few more and save!

Wonder what will happen?

2 comments:

M said...

I first met Poor Little Match Girl, on the set of CSI. I was rather taken aback by her, as her dog,..... "Ebola" was a scary snack, just waiting to take a piece out of my hide. But after several encounters, PLMG and I came to an understanding. She is now aware that I didn't steal the family 1967 Chrysler Newport Custom from Dicks on lower Queen Anne, it was just a stunt that the crew had set up. Love always.- Ga

M said...

Uhhh....... the prior was from me, Gary Sinise. :)